Looking for the best modern throw pillows to update any living space? Check out my favorites that are perfect for modern contemporary homes!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you make a purchase, I might make a small commission at no extra charge to you. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. As an Airbnb Ambassador, I earn when you Host on Airbnb.
Best Throw Pillows
Modern throw pillows are a great way to update any room in your home. They’re perfect for adding texture, pattern, and style.
If you have a neutral color palette adding pillows with a pop of color is an affordable way to create a new look. Unique pillows can be found at a variety of price points making them easily accessible to all.
Adding patterned throw pillows in multiple sizes is a fabulous way to express your personality. Layering different sizes, textures, and colors will make a statement in your interior design.
When it comes to modern pillows and covers there are so many fun styles to choose from. They’re available in a variety of materials as well.
Pillow fabrics currently trending include velvet, boucle, linen, hide, leather, and faux fur to name a few. Mixed materials and color blocking are also super popular.
Details such as embroidery, fringe, and tassels add originality and interest. Update your living room, bedroom, home office, or any other living space with a modern throw pillow.
To help you do just that I pulled together all the roundups in one spot. I’ve done the sourcing work so you don’t have to.
Just click the link for more details of any image. Happy designing, my friends!
This post is all about the best modern throw pillows.
Where to shop for modern throw pillows?
There are many retailers that sell modern throw pillows. They’re available online and in brick-and-mortar locations.
My favorite online resources for trendy throw pillows are:
- Woven Nook
- The Citizenry
- Crate & Barrel
- Arianna Belle
- Little Design Co
- William Sonoma
- Scout & Nimble
- Lulu and Georgia
- Serena & Lily
- Jonathan Adler
Budget-Friendly Pillow Resources:
There are many others but these are my go-to online retailers. They’re at a variety of price points that are perfect no matter your budget.
My favorites at the moment are Coterie, Woven Nook, The Citizenry, Little Design Co, and Anthropologie. If you’re on a budget check out World Market, Wayfair, and Target.
How do I know what size pillow cover to buy?
If your pillow cover is 20×20″ you need a 22×22″ insert. For the 26×26″ pillow you will need a 28×28″ insert. This will create that designer look you love from Pinterest and Instagram.
If you want your modern pillows to be choppable use down inserts. Some people have allergies to down but you can get a down alternative made with polyester fibers. These are still choppable and pretty plus they’re super affordable.
A designer tip to follow is to mix and match sizes, patterns, and designs for a curated look. A 24″ square pillow behind a 20″ pillow will add interest and balance to your design.
You can also layer a lumbar pillow in front of your square pillows for added style and originality.
Why are throw pillows expensive?
Throw pillows tend to be expensive due to the fabric they are made from. Designer fabric can cost between $50-$200 a yard.
One 18″x18″ pillow requires 1/2 yard of fabric. Depending on the price per yard you can see how that can add up, especially when you include the labor too.
The other factor to consider is the type of fabric. Leather, hide, sheepskin, or silk will cost more than cotton, linen, or faux fur.
How do you make a pillow look expensive?
To make modern pillows look expensive follow these designer secrets:
- use down inserts
- size the inserts up 2″ from the pillow size all around
- mix textures, sizes, and patterns
- add a pop color for added interest
You’ll want a mix of sizes, patterns, and textures as shown below. This sofa is very large (102″ wide) so the pillows are large to create a balanced look.
It’s always best to create a visual of your pillow design before you purchase. Set up a free Canva account and lay out your modern pillow design similar to the one above.
Furniture Shopping Tips
No matter which furniture you choose it’s important to always start with a floor plan of your space. Having one to scale will help you avoid costly mistakes and save money in returns.
Download your FREE how-to-measure guide today!
Once you have your measurements you’ll be able to order your furniture with confidence. This video will help you create a floor plan based on the measurements of your space.
Best Modern Pillow Covers
1. Two-Tone Navy Throw Pillow // 2. Tie-Dye Navy Pillow Cover // 3. Ivory Kilim Pillow Cover // 4. Batik Circles Pillow Cover // 5. Color Block Decorative Pillow // 6. Sepia Pillow Cover // 7. Kelly Wearstler Abstract Pillow Cover // 8. Leather Honeycomb Pillow Cover // 9. Cross Stitch Pillow Cover // 10. Velvet Pillow Cover // 11. Marigold Pillow Cover // 12. Cotton Satin Cushion Cover // 13. Black & Cream Cover // 14. Kelly Wearstler Modern Pillow Cover // 15. Moroccan Pillow Cover // 16. Graffito Teal Pillow Cover // 17. Spliced Lines Pillow Cover // 18. Square Pillow Cover with Tassels // 19. Velvet Pillow Cover // 20. Cotton and Linen Striped Pillow // 21. Antelope Pillow Cover
Modern throw pillow covers are the way to go if you love to change the look of your interior design. You can have a set for the fall/ winter months that’s warm and cozy.
In the spring/ summer, you can change the fabric to linen and add a pop color. Since you can use the same pillow fills for each set it’ll be easy to just store the covers away when not in use.
When deciding on the style and color there are some things to consider. For example, if you have a dark sofa light pillows will add contrast.
Similarly, if you have a light sofa a dark pillow behind a light pillow will add interest. If you’re going for a neutral vibe add pillows with texture, dimension, and simple patterns.
Not only will it make a statement but you’ll add warmth as well. The beauty of pillow covers is they’re a simple way to change the vibe of your space especially when you’re on a budget.
Neutral Contemporary Throw Pillows
1. Neutral Sheepskin Pillow // 2. Santa Clara Pillow // 3. Antelope Pillow // 4. Faux Fur Pillow // 5. Chunky Diamond Pillow // 6. Luxe Faux Fur Pleated Pillow // 7. Textured Boho Neutral Pillow // 8. French Stripe Floor Pillow // 9. Anika Pillow // 10. Pedazo Pillow // 11. Hide Pillow Cover // 12. Samaya Pillow // 13. Ivory Decorative Pillow // 14. Sierra Boucle Pillow // 15. Velvet Loop Linen Pillow // 16. Neutral White Hide Pillow // 17. Ivory Round Pillow // 18. Pommed Jute Pillow // 19. Kala in Tan
When it comes to designing with neutrals you should mix different size pillows. For example, adding a larger pillow that is 23″x23″ behind two smaller 20″x20″ pillows will add balance and interest.
Lumbar pillows placed in front of two square pillows are another trick designers love to use. Whether you’re looking for a quick update or completely starting from scratch the above roundup will give you plenty of inspiration.
Best Throw Pillows Black And White
1. Panel Pillow // 2. Channels Pillow // 3. Watercolor Pillow // 4. Modern Lines Silk Pillow // 5. Linen & Velvet Pillow // 6. Chevron Pillow // 7. Hide Pillow // 8. Les Touches Pillow // 9. Mrs. Square Pillow // 10. Beso Pillow // 11. Shit Show Pillow // 12. Pattern Pillow // 13. Black Leather Pillow // 14. Striped Pillow // 15. Diamond Pillow // 16. Graffito Pillow Cover // 17. Sia Strip Pillow // 18. Diamond Fringe Pillow // 19. Estela Black and White Pillow // 20. Antibes Pillow // 21. Graffito Pillow // 22. Xbase Pillow // 23. Tyra Pillow
By now you know that black and white is trending in home decor. The Achromatic color palette is perfect to use alone or combined with pop colors for interest.
The beauty is it’s the perfect backdrop for any accent color. It’s equally fabulous left alone with all neutrals.
Black and white decor is far from boring if done right. The trick to pulling off this trend is to make sure you use texture, pattern, a variety of materials, and interesting shapes within the design.
The above design is meant to give you a visual of the impact this color scheme can have on a room. By layering texture, pattern, and scale you’ll create an interesting space that’s super inviting.
Trendy Throw Pillows
1. Abstract Throw Pillow // 2. Multicolor Throw Pillow // 3. Landscape Pillow Cover // 4. Velvet Round Pillow // 5. Fringe Throw Pillow // 6. Multi Pom Pom Pillow // 7. Sprout Pillow // 8. Ebb & Flow Pillow // 9. Woven Silk Pillow // 10. Knot Ball Rose Pillow // 11. Black Round Fur Pillow // 12. Velvet Sphere Pillow // 13. Knot Ball Pillow
The best way to create the look and feel in any space is to start with a color palette. There are many ways to pull a color scheme for your design.
Start with a fun vibrant pattern and then pull out solids to complement the print. A color palette can be created with neutrals and pop colors or even metallics.
In general, it’s best to start with 3 neutrals and then add 2 pop colors. This formula will create a timeless design that can be updated in the future with new pop colors.
The trendy pillows above all have a unique shape, pattern, and texture to make a statement in your home. A colorful pillow is fabulous to mix with solids for personality and fun.
Amber Lewis Pillows
1. Carmel Pillow – PAL-0003 // 2. Belmont Pillow – PAL-0006 // 3. Diego Pillow – PAL-0008 // 4. Larkspur Pillow – PAL-0014 // 5. Montara Pillow – PAL-0012 // 6. Pacifica Pillow – PAL-0015 // 7. Blythe Pillow – PAL-0009 // 8. Marin Pillow – PAL-0002 // 9. Bernadino Pillow – PAL-0011 // 10. Palomar Pillow – PAL-0007 // 11. Onofre Pillow – PAL-0010 // 12. Redwood Pillow – PAL-0016 // 13. Mateo Pillow – PAL-0001 // 14. Cypress Pillow – PAL-0005 // 15. Madera Pillow – PAL-0004 // 16. Humboldt Pillow – PAL-0013
The pillows are cotton-based and hand-crafted in India. They come in a range of sizes including 18″x18″, 13″x21″, and 22″x22″.
Similar to Amber’s interior design the vibe is laid-back style: open, relaxed, and lived-in. Pair these together or with any other combination of pillows from the collection for an original look.
Modern Round Throw Pillows
1. Velvet Round Pillow // 2. Round Throw Pillow // 3. Knot Ball Rose Pillow // 4. Black Round Fur Pillow // 5. Velvet Sphere Pillow // 6. Knot Ball Pillow // 7. Round Plush Pillow with Pom-Poms // 8. Cozy Handknit Round Pillow // 9. Round Lush Velvet Pillow // 10. Handknit Round Pillow // 11. Leopard Print Pillow // 12. Yellow And Orange Throw Pillow // 13. Bouclé Ball Pillow
Round pillows come in many materials, styles, and designs. My personal favorite is the knotted round pillow that looks like a ball.
They’re great for adding pattern, texture, and dimension to any ordinary space. If you love the modern boho style the round pillow with fringe is perfect for you.
Best Outdoor Throw Pillows
1. Cabana Stripe Outdoor Pillow // 2. Raiden Medallion Indoor/Outdoor Pillow // 3. Black & White Pillow // 4. Spot Pattern Sunbrella Pillow // 5. Blue/White Sunbrella Trim Pillow // 6. Indoor/Outdoor Pillow // 7. Coral Stripe Outdoor Pillow // 8. Lido Stripe Outdoor Pillow // 9. Multicolor Stripe Outdoor Pillow // 10. Striped Lumbar Pillows // 11. Aztec Green Lumbar Pillow // 12. Tropical Leaf Lumbar Pillow // 13. Swaying Palms Onyx Pillow // 14. Indigo Pattern Sunbrella Pillow // 15. Sunbrella Indigo Outdoor Pillow
With all the high-performance fabric options your furniture can stay outside and hold up to the weather. I still prefer to bring the cushions in but there are durable and long-lasting products available nowadays.
One of my favorite high-performance fabric vendors is Sunbrella. It’s a great resource for outdoor fabrics and they have a fabulous assortment of prints, patterns, and colors.
In their collection, there are summer solids, neutrals, fun prints, and classic geometric patterns. If you’re looking for trendy fun pillows to update any outdoor space the above roundup is for you!
Sunbrella Modern Outdoor Pillows
For anyone unfamiliar with Sunbrella fabric let me share some deets (details).
Sunbrella fabric is very popular in outdoor furniture and decor. It’s stylish and made to last. The durable fabric can be used for outdoor, indoor, and marine living.
There’s a wide assortment of fabric colors, styles, patterns, and textures available that work with a variety of applications. Sunbrella fabric can be used in residential, commercial, indoor, and outdoor spaces.
There’s a 5-year limited warranty for upholstery fabrics and a 10-year limited warranty for shade and marine fabrics.
Sunbrella fabric comes in performance chenille, performance velvet, heathered weave, linen, and more!
Highlights of Sunbrella are:
- Soft to the touch
- Easy to clean
- Bleach cleanable
- Color stable
- Built-in UV protection
Sunbrella fabrics can be sanitized and cleaned with disinfectants. You can use bleach and other chemicals without fear of color loss. Disinfecting or sanitizing often requires the use of strong chemicals that might damage other fabrics. Sunbrella fabric can withstand repeated cleaning with chemicals. The best part is it doesn’t void the warranty.
I hope these fun and trendy modern throw pillows inspire you to design a home you love!
Have an amazing day full of Unicorns & Rainbows!
This post is all about the best modern throw pillows.