This post is all about an easy cheese flan recipe from Puerto Rico.
Please Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you make a purchase, I might make a small commission at no extra charge to you. Please read my full disclosure here.
This recipe is my go to Holiday Dessert.
It is pretty much the BEST dessert I make.
Like the one and only other than boxed cupcakes which I’ve stopped making because my children are both off living their best lives.
So I learned to make this easy cheese flan recipe at the age of 13 while on vacation with my dad in Puerto Rico.
My father who recently passed away was of Puerto Rican descent.
During my teens, I was definitely obsessed with his heritage.
Typically I make this recipe several times from Thanksgiving through Christmas!
During the holiday season, my family has come to expect this dessert because it tastes so yummy!
What is Cheese Flan?
Flan, or crème caramel, is a creamy custard dessert topped with caramel that’s popular in Mexico, Spain, and many Latin American countries.
Flan de Queso is a smooth cream cheese custard topped with a decadent layer of homemade caramel. Using only 5 ingredients and less than 5 minutes of prep time, this rich variation on traditional flan is one that you can master, fast! Serve chilled for a sweet finale to your next family dinner.
It’s known for its smooth and creamy consistency that’s achieved by cooking the custard in a water bath, or a bain-marie or baño-maría. Doing so creates steam in the oven which gently and evenly cooks the flan, keeping it moist and ensuring that the eggs aren’t overcooked and curdled or scrambled.
Before we get into the How To I must mention this is NOT a low-calorie recipe.
The entire Cheese Flan adds up to about 3,431 calories but I divided that into 10 servings for a whopping 344 calories per sliver.
This is a yummy, sweet dessert that will literally melt in your mouth.
Since I don’t like to work that hard to stay fit I choose to have a sliver but the men in the family usually go for a large serving.
Just be WARNED this dessert will go straight to your mid section.
You will definitely need Boho Beautiful if you eat too much!
How to make this Easy Puerto Rican Cheese Flan:
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 1 12 oz Evaporated Milk 1 can
- 1 14 oz Condensed Milk 1 can
- 1 8 oz Cream Cheese 1 Package
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 tbsp Concentrated Vanilla Flavor
- Preheat to oven 350°F degrees.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt sugar until completely dissolved. Watch carefully so it does not burn. Remove from heat when it is a dark golden, amber color, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Immediately pour the melted sugar into the bottom of the 9″-inch glass baking pan; swirl so that caramel reaches the sides, working quickly before it hardens. Set aside.
- Place sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs, cream cheese, milk, and vanilla in a blender; blend until smooth.
- Place enough water in the tin pan to reach the caramel of the glass pan. Place the glass pan inside the tin pan with the water.
- Pour the condensed milk mixture on top.
- Bake flan in the preheated oven until a damp table knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Chill flan in the refrigerator until firm, 3 to 4 hours (I chill overnight).
- When ready to serve, run a knife around the edges to loosen. Set a plate over the flan and flip upside-down to invert.
- Slice into wedges and serve.
Images of the steps to make Puerto Rican Cheese Flan from last Thanksgiving.
Included in the Product Links below are some serving dish options.
Make sure the dish has a lip so the caramel does not drip off the plate.