Looking for a bathroom remodel before and after cost? Check out this post for an idea of what you can expect in your next bathroom renovation project.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you make a purchase, I might make a small commission at no extra charge to you. Please read my full disclosure here.
After an issue with the tile and some mold, we had no choice but to gut the entire bathroom. It wasn’t planned but a nice surprise as that saying goes.
Since this bathroom is also used for the Airbnb we had to think of guests not just our family. If you are wondering what a project like this will cost keep reading to find out!
This post is all about bathroom remodel before and after costs in 2021.
Bathroom Remodel Before And After Cost
The design for this bathroom remodel was black and white with pops of gold. This was the concept board for the project which was inspired by those Pinterest images on the right.
We didn’t get the shower doors due to cost and some details were tweaked but the over concept stayed the same. We originally thought the project would cost $5000.
Maybe 20 years ago that would have been possible but these days, not a shot. As you will see we were way over that but in the end, I know the ROI will be awesome.
The Round Up
1. Towel Bar | 2. Toilet Paper Holder | 3. Quad Hook | 4. Exhaust Fan | 5. Round Mirror | 6. Vanity Base | 7. Quartz Counter Top | 8. Faucet | 9. Black Drawer Pulls | 10. Subway Tile | 11. Ceramic Bullnose | 12. Hexagon Tile | 13. Mini Hexagon Tile | 14. Mapei Grout | 15. Wall Sconce | 16. Curtain Rod | 17. Curtain Rings | 18. Shower Curtain | 19. Liner | 20. Toilet in White | 21. Shower Drain | 22. Short Etagere | 23. Strap Tote Black | 24. Handshower | 25. Slide Bar | 26. Metal Shower Hose | 27. Slidebar Kohler | 28. Elbow | 29. Valve Trim Cross Handle | 30. Pressure Valve
Here the list and resources of everything we purchased for the bathroom remodel.
- Brushed Gold 24 in. Towel Bar $35.99 (Floor & Decor)
- Brushed Gold Toilet Paper Holder $21.99 (Floor & Decor)
- Over the Door Quad Hook in White $24 (I had this already)
- Exhaust Fan $134
- Vintage Round Mirror 30″ $54.30 (HomeGoods)
- 42″ Freestanding Single Bathroom Vanity Base $794.13
- 42″ Custom Quartz Counter Top $1150
- Purist Collection Faucet, Low Cross Handles, and Spout $547.89
- Black Drawer Pulls Handles Brass Cabinet $11.05 (x4) (painted mine)
- White 4 in. x 12 in. Polished Ceramic Subway Tile $270.40 (Tilebar)
- Basic White 4×12 Polished Ceramic Bullnose (12-inch) $60.30 (Tilebar)
- Paige Antracite 10″ Hexagon Matte Porcelain Tile $223.80 (Tilebar)
- Level Black 1″ Hexagon Matte Porcelain Shower Floor Tile $68.30 (Tilebar)
- Mapei Flexcolor Warm Gray Grout $45
- Wall Sconce by George Kovacs (2) $280.19
- Tension Shower Curtain Rod $29.49
- Decorative Shower Curtain Rings $9.99 (x2)
- Waffle Weave Shower Curtain $25.99 (x2)
- Microfiber Fabric Shower Liner $16.50 (x2)
- Single Flush Elongated Toilet in White $119
- Shower Drain $100.88
- Aimee Soft Gold Short Etagere $122.97
- Whitmor Woven Strap Tote Black $18.67 (x2)
- Purist Handshower Kohler 978-BGD $160.99
- BGD Stillness Slide Bar Trim Kit Kohler K-974- $28.65
- Kohler K-9514-BGD MasterShower 60″ Metal Shower Hose $69.59
- Slidebar Kohler K-8524-BGD $245.21
- Kohler K-976-BGD Stillness Wall-Mount Supply Elbow $114.40
- Purist Valve Trim Kohler K-TS14423-3-BGD – Cross Handle $297.92
- Kohler K-8304-KS-NA Rite-Temp Pressure-Balancing Valve $84.31
- Warm Grey Caulk $6.87
- BM Fresh Start Primer $38.99
- Aura Bath/ Spa Simply White OC-117 Matte (Gallon) $62.99
Material Total: $5263.40
Labor for this project was about $8000 for the contractor, tile installer and electrician.
The labor costs will depend on your area. If it’s your husband doing the labor then that’s another story!
In total, this bathroom project was about $13,263.40.
So yeah wayyyy over that $5000 imaginary budget. A girl can dream no?
Now for all the deets on the product roundup and sourcing.
1. Towel Bar
We actually bought the towel bar from Floor & Decor in the link above. It is a good match but the purest towel bar is the perfect match so I wanted to include it here.
The gold is more of a light brushed gold than yellow which was harder to match than I thought.
This is the Purest toilet paper holder in case you are not near a Floor & Decor.
3. Quad Hook
We had this from the previous bathroom and it has been great for the Airbnb. I wanted to share the link for anyone in need of hooks for towels.
This is a great option when you don’t want to make holes in the wall.
4. Exhaust Fan
Love this exhaust fan because it is super quiet.
Getting your guests and family to use it is another story but it is so necessary.
5. Round Mirror
The one I bought was from HomeGoods but if you are shopping online this 30″ mirror is perfect for your before and after bathroom remodel.
Related Post: 23 Modern Bathroom Mirror Ideas No Matter Your Budget
6. Vanity Base
For this project, I bought the vanity without the top because I wanted to control the quartz countertop. There is an option to purchase this including the vanity as well.
I read comments about cleaning underneath this freestanding cabinet but for us, it has not been an issue. We love how clean and open it looks with the bottom shelf.
The black basket with cleaning products fits perfectly underneath but you can store towels on the shelf.
This is an option for the countertop if you do not have a local fabricator.
We used someone who had access to remnants from larger jobs so that helped keep the cost down.
I was sooooo obsessed with this faucet!
This was the splurge for this project and is the “star of the show”. She looks gorgeous in the bathroom and I’m so happy we didn’t skimp in this area.
I wound up spray painting my pulls that came with the cabinet. If I have to replace them in the future these are the ones I’ll purchase.
10. Subway Tile
We bought our subway tile from Tilebar but had that whole issue. Check out this post White Subway Tile Dye Lot Color Variations to make sure you don’t.
The 4×12 white polished subway tile looked beautiful in the second project. out can check it out here 21+ Small Bathroom Makeover Ideas On A Budget.
This was an area we kept the costs down.
12. Hexagon Tile
Make sure that this black and the mini hex black match. Mine was from Tilebar and we ordered a sample before we placed the order. I recommend doing the same.
Through the journey, I learned to never go over 2″ with your shower floor tile. I wish I knew that when we did the remodeling job 15 years ago because our floor tile did crack.
You live and you learn!
14. Mapei Grout
This grout is awesome because it is premixed. You can save it for future fill-ins and know the color will be the same.
Side note when cleaning DO NOT use bleach products or it will deteriorate over time.
15. Wall Sconce
The original option was about $200 more of the wall sconces so we saved with this one. We have it on a dimmer switch which is fabulous.
I love a good dimmer switch. It saves on electricity usage and sets the mood.
16. Curtain Rod
I wasn’t sure how the color would be but it actually works with the other gold finishes in the bathroom.
It’s more of a darker brass than a yellow gold.
17. Curtain Rings
Love these cute hooks from Target. They hold the shower curtain and liner very nicely. It helps keep them separate also.
18. Shower Curtain
I bought the extra-long length and hemmed them. They are on both sides of the shower walls creating a drapery panel effect.
This helped cover up that subway tile issue so it’s not visible in the mirror.
Having a liner is super important. Again I bought the extra-long and hemmed it to fit.
We always use the fabric liner so we can wash it when needed.
20. Toilet in White
We had a new toilet but this is the one we bought. We used it in the second bathroom project as well.
While some people like to go fancy with the toilet we don’t. I am a little sad we never got to do the wall mount toilet but pretty sure the plumbing cost on that would be ridiculous.
21. Shower Drain
This is the version you need for a shower floor with tile. If you have a pan there is another version you need.
22. Short Etagere
In the original concept I thought I could do the taller shelf option. After taking all the measurments it would be way too close to the sconce.
The short etagere is actually perfect for our needs.
We have a black basket with four rolls of toilet paper on the bottom shelf. On the two middle shelves, we have six towels rolled. Then the top shelf is a decorative vase and two canisters.
It was the perfect size to move the towels from the bedroom into the bathroom for our future guests.
23. Strap Tote Black
The ones I purchased were from HomeScence but this is the exact one I have. Perfect for storing rolls of toilet paper or cleaning supplies.
This was another splurge!
I do want to add that the handheld shower on the rod is NOT as powerful as a regular shower head. That is why the two are usually paired together.
For our purposes, it would have been too much to have both since this bathroom is only 5′ x 10′. We went with the handheld over the shower head because it is easier for cleaning purposes.
She is so pretty and glad we splurged on her.
25. Slide Bar
This is the trim to cover where the bar connects to the wall.
The hose for the handheld which connects to the elbow.
Yes, EVERYTHING is separate from this collection. If we had gone with the silver it would have cost less and there was a complete set option of course.
27. Slidebar Kohler
The bar is great so you can adjust the height based off the size of the user.
This goes on the wall and connects to the hose.
I was obsessed with the cross handle but there is also a lever version in the valve trim and faucet.
This is for controlling the water temp and turning the shower on.
30. Pressure Valve
The valve kit is what goes inside the wall.
I know so many parts!!
If you are interested in the artwork you can download the printables below.
You will just need to purchase the black frames unless you already have them.
Hope this post gave you resources, ideas, and inspiration to get started with your bathroom remodeling project.
Have an amazing day full of Unicorns & Rainbows!
This post is all about bathroom remodel before and after cost.
Share your thoughts:
Let me know…
How much do you plan to spend on your bathroom renovation in 2021?
Share your comment below.