Looking for a dorm room reveal that is full of inspiration for your college space? Check out this beach-inspired design that is full of ideas!
Please Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you make a purchase, I might make a small commission at no extra charge to you. Please read my full disclosure here.
Dorm Room Reveal
College season is here again so it’s time to pull ideas and inspiration for your dorm room. The featured dorm room in this post is from Hawaii Pacific University.
You may not realize this but shopping at Amazon is the easiest way to furnish your dorm room in Hawaii. You can always fill in pieces from Target and Walmart.
Since we are in NY the resources below were ordered about a week before they were needed. Amazon “Prime” shipping to Hawaii is more like a week than the 1-2 days we are used to.
That said we really had to plan everything out before. This dorm room reveal was completed during Covid so my daughter had to put the whole room together on her own.
Bella did such an awesome job!! Check out all the resources below from this dorm room inspiration.
This post is all about an inspiring dorm room reveal at Hawai’i Pacific University.
College Dorm At Hawaii Pacific University
The first dorm room decor we purchased was the ocean tapestry. It is the focal point of the room and was used to create the color palette.
The rest of the design was kept neutral with the white and grey. Since we used pillow covers we were able to change the look easily this year when my daughter moved off camps.
Check out 19 College Apartment Decor Resources You’ll Want To Copy In Your Bedroom to see that bedroom reveal.
Here is a video of this Dorm Room Reveal:
Her roommate Marina was trying to get her side ready for the video too lol.
If you have no idea what to pack when you head off to college download the packing list below. This is everything we put together as we went through the process.
Free Dorm Room Packing List
Dorm Room Inspiration
Now for all the resources that will help you recreate a similar design in your dorm room.
Dorm Room Decor From Amazon
- Rug 4’x6′
- Mirror (over the door)
- Night Stand (3 draws)
- Metal Rolling Cart
- Vanity Mirror
- Storage Ottoman Cube (2)
- Trash Can
- Duvet Insert
- Mattress Topper
- Mesh Hamper (her request)
- Fur Body Pillow + Fill (should be 2″ bigger than cover size)
- Navy Fringe Pillows + Fill (2)
- Sleep Lumbar Pillow + Fill
- Stripe Lumbar Pillow + Fill
- Photo Lights
Dorm Room Reveal Tips
Click on the links above for more product details. Some tips we found through the process.
- The creme rug was super cute but go for the grey colorway if you are not neat. It is easier to hide dirt with the darker rug color.
- The tall nightstand worked out perfectly because the bed at HPU is tall. There is storage underneath the bed which is perfect to hide your bulky suitcase.
- The storage cubes worked great to store shoes and extra small items. Now that my daughter is in a larger bedroom off-campus the cubes are at the foot of her bed for extra seating.
- The thin velvet hangers are much more practical than the bulky plastic ones. Yes, the plastic hangers are cheaper but when you are in college every bit of hanging space counts. Keep that in mind as you make your selection.
- Get the mattress topper because it will make all the difference. Since college mattresses are not super comfy the extra cushion is just what you need.
- The duvet needs to be washed to keep it crisp, clean, and WHITE. My thought was my daughter would just wash the duvet every now and then but that did not happen. She slept on top of it and half of it turned yellow.
- Get a comforter if you are not used to a duvet. It is so much easier to just wash a duvet than the comforter but it can be a challenge to get the fill in the duvet. If you want simple just get the comforter instead.
- Pillow covers were the perfect choice since we were able to reuse the fills when we changed the color scheme this year. If you don’t want to be locked into a palette the entire four years of college get pillow covers.
- We may have purchased too many pillows but they really complete the design. If you are not the type to make the bed every day then one cute lumbar pillow is all you need. Just choose one with a cute saying or color to make a statement.
Dorm Room Ideas From Urban Outfitters
Side note: The photo string lights are awesome to hang pictures of all your friends and family from back home. You can never have too many memories to get you through the college years.
Accessories are an important part of any dorm room design. Don’t leave them out! They are the finishing touch that makes a space feel complete.
For this design, we added the celestial sun lamp sculpture and fun clip string lights. The salt lamp gives the space a zen vibe that also serves as a nightlight.
Hawaii Pacific University Dorm Room Reveal
If you are interested in an insider look at the HPU college experience follow on Instagram for live updates.
If there ever is a Vlog to follow I’ll let you know that as well. Let me know in the comments if you have any questions. We are here to help each other : )).
Have a great day full of Unicorns & Rainbows!
More Dorm Room Posts You May Like:
They drive Mopeds at Hawaii Pacific University so naturally, Bella got one of her own. Watch out Hawai’i because here comes Bella! Be afraid lol!