Looking for the best coffee table trends of 2022? Check out this ultimate buying guide that will help you level up your home today!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you make a purchase, I might make a small commission at no extra charge to you. Please read my full disclosure here.
Best Coffee Table
OMG!! If you are in the market for the best coffee table this round-up is for you! I have to say I LOVE a good coffee table design. What I mean by that is so many styles actually look more like a piece of art than furniture.
This is another category that is perfect to express your personality and style in your home. When it comes to choosing the perfect cocktail table there is a variety of shapes, styles, types, a mix of materials, and functions. All key deciding factors that you’ll want to consider.
Your modern coffee table will anchor your living space and join together your sofa, sectional, or lounge chair seating arrangements. It truly is a beautiful way to balance out your space.
The current trends we are seeing in modern coffee tables are:
- sculptural pieces of art
- bunching tables
- mixed materials
- modern manipulation
- natural elements
- unexpected textures
- nesting tables
For a visual of these trends and styles check out the images below for all the details.
This post is all about the best coffee table trends of 2022.
How to choose a coffee table
Before we get into all the resources let’s talk about the most commonly asked questions on the topic. The answers below will help you pick the best modern coffee table for your home.
How big should a coffee table be?
Your unique coffee table should be approximately two-thirds the length of your sofa. For example, if your sofa is 90″ long you will want a coffee table that is about 60″ long.
How high is a standard coffee table?
The height of your modern coffee table should be no lower than 1-2 inches from the seat height of your sofa. Standard coffee tables are 16-18 inches high while sofas with a higher see would look better with a 20-21 inch high table.
How far should your coffee table be from your couch?
The ideal space between a sofa and coffee table is 14-18 inches. This will give you enough leg room but you will still be close enough to grab your cocktail or the remote.
How do you shop for a unique coffee table?
No matter which coffee table style you choose it is important to always start with a floor plan of your space. I know I sound like a broken record but without the floor plan, you won’t know the exact size coffee table you need.
This is especially important when you are shopping for a coffee table for a U-shape or L-shape sectional. The worst thing that can happen is your coffee table gets delivered and doesn’t fit in your space.
Trust me no one is happy when that happens!
Whether you are shopping online or in a furniture store images are deceiving. This is especially true when shopping in person.
You have to remember the lighting and scale of the store are NOT the same as the space of your home.
To begin the design process download this how-to-measure guide so you have a “map” to follow. This way you have a clear idea of the exact size of the coffee table that will fit in your space.
Free Download Measure Guide
Best Coffee Tables Online
When it comes to shopping for unusual coffee tables there are many resources online. If you are looking for modern coffee table options I have a go-to list to help you get started.
Best Places to Shop For Modern Coffee Tables
- Jonathan Adler
- Scout & Nimble
- Lulu & Georgia
- Serena & Lily
- West Elm
- Crate & Barrel
- Alchemy Fine Home
- One Kings Lane
- Design Within Reach
- Williams Sonoma Home
- World Market
There are so many retailers in this category but I have found it best to limit the options. When I start the design process I first dream and look at all the trendy styles.
At first, I’m looking for the vibe I am after so budget is not a factor. After I let myself dream a little the next step is to find the best coffee table in the style and price I am after.
By going through these steps you will not limit yourself out the gate. This is the best way to design a space that is unique and will express your personality.
1. Round Table // 2. Jacques Cocktail Table // 3. Oak Drum Table // 4. Indoor / Outdoor Table // 5. Truro // 6. Targua Moroccan // 7. Reclaimed Wood // 8. Linen Cocktail Table // 9. Black Table // 10. Lassen Cocktail Tables // 11. Beacon Table // 12. Louve // 13. Bernhart Cocktail // 14. Saarinen // 15. Tribeca
Best Coffee Table Trends of 2021
With HPMKT happening soon it’s a great time to talk about the trends in coffee tables. Now you make be thinking what trends? Don’t I just look for a round or rectangular coffee table?
No, my friends, it’s not that simple! We want to express our personality, be unique, and not look like a furniture showroom.
That said let’s talk about those trends.
Marble Coffee Tables
1. Tulip // 2. Table with Black Marble // 3. Marble And Wood // 4. Marble Coffee Table // 5. Hyla Marble // 6. Square Coffee Table // 7. White Marble // 8. Rectangular Marble // 9. Wood and White Marble // 10. Mid-Century Table // 11. Faux Marble // 12. Parveen Round // 13. Pedestal Coffee Table // 14. Chameau // 15. Brass Starburst Rectangular // 16. Arches
When To Use Marble Coffee Tables
As you can see above marble coffee tables come in a variety of colors, styles, shapes, and sizes. The thing to remember about the stylish tables is they are a natural material. That said you will want to take precautions to keep them beautiful.
You can do this by always using a coaster on your table. Drinks tend to “sweat” which can damage your table so you’ll want to protect against this.
Why do drinks sweat?
When water vapor in the air comes into contact with something cool its molecules slow down and get closer together. When that happens, the gaseous water vapor turns back into liquid water droplets. That’s condensation!
The other thing you can do is use a cleaner that is specific for marble, granite, and natural stone. You should always first test the product in a hidden area just in case. This way you won’t damage your table trying to clean it.
My favorite granite cleaner is sold on amazon and I refill the bottle every few months. It is a bit pricey but so worth it for the protection and peace of mind it gives me.
Burl Wood Coffee Tables
1. Archimedes // 2. Avenir Cocktail Table // 3. Custom Live Edge Table // 4. Burl Bunching Cocktail Table // 5. Dark Burl Wood // 6. Bond Cocktail Table // 7. Floating Wood Live Edge // 8. Modern Burl // 9. Burl Wood // 10. Purl Rotating // 11. Waterfall Tables // 12. Waterfall Coffee Table // 13. Chelsea Walnut-Burl // 14. Burl Wood Silver Metal // 15. Chloé
What Are Burl Wood Coffee Tables
In the natural material category is the burl wood coffee table which is stunning in my opinion! In case you are wondering “what exactly is burl wood?” let me tell you.
A burl is a tree growth in which the grain has grown in a deformed manner. It is commonly found in the form of a rounded outgrowth on a tree trunk or branch that is filled with small knots from dormant buds.
The burl forms large, knobby-looking growths on the base and trunk of the tree. These deformed sections would otherwise be discarded if it weren’t for furniture makers, artists, and sculptors who see the tree’s flaws as beautiful.
The most common types are redwood, maple, walnut, oak, and cherry. Each piece is totally unique and different from the next and that is one of the reasons they are so rare and valuable. You can get pieces large and small, and extreme variations in the grains and color of the wood.
Now that you understand the beauty of burl wood you can see why a coffee table in this material would be a conversation starter in your home.
Although the burlwood coffee table is unique and stylish they are still pretty rare. Not all vendors carry them and they are not cheap. Click the link for more details on this trendy coffee table style.
Square Coffee Table
1. Ivan Square Tables // 2. Square Pine Coffee Table // 3. Bond Cocktail Tables // 4. Tufted Square Cocktail Ottoman // 5. Reclaimed Wood Bunching Table // 6. Rotating Coffee Table // 7. Cocktail Table // 8. Manhattan Table // 9. Peking Cocktail Table // 10. Byron Bunching Table // 11. Alison Coffee Table // 12.Leandro Square Coffee Table // 13. Cut Coffee Table // 14. Square Coffee Table // 15. Travertine Square Table // 16. Olivia Square Coffee Table // 17. Aviana Square Coffee Table // 18. White Square Coffee Table // 19. Square Coffee Table
Square coffee tables are fabulous when you are trying to connect your seating arrangement in your living room. They are perfect when you have a square or u-shape seating layout. The materials and finishes of these bad boys are endless.
No matter your style or budget there will be one for you in this category. I tend to skew more contemporary modern so naturally, that is the style shown above. If you are traditional or transitional there are more classic options available as well.
This category comes in a variety of sizes, materials, and textures that will be a focal point in the center of your living room.
Rectangle Coffee Tables
1. Savi Striped Inlay // 2. Strand Shagreen // 3. Black Metal Table // 4. Caroline // 5. Beacon Cocktail Table // 6. Travertine and Stainless Steel // 7. Teak Slice // 8. Obra Tables // 9. Masaro Coffee Table // 10. Acrylic Coffee Table // 11. Bertogne // 12. Pine and Metal Table // 13. Olwina Leather // 14. Black Marble // 15. Refrigerator Coffee Table // 16. Zane // 17. Lucite Tables // 18. Faux Marble & Champagne // 19. Hunte // 20. Malone // 21. Pedestal Coffee Table // 22. Nesting Table // 23. Ariana Cocktail Ottoman
When To Use Rectangle Coffee Tables
The modern rectangle coffee table is often what you will see in front of a sofa or in the middle of two sofas opposite each other. For many people, this is the go-to style that they think of when sourcing a new coffee table.
This is another category that can be found in every size, color, and material. If you are looking for a modern style the clear acrylic style is a great choice.
For those with small kiddies, an upholstered table is a nice option. If you entertain a lot and need extra seating go for the metal upholstered ottoman style. My personal favorite is the mixed-material marble and metal rectangle coffee table.
Check out all the options by clicking that shop now link above.
Round Coffee Tables
1. Marble Tables // 2. Marble Nesting // 3. Modern Marble // 4. Round Pedestal // 5. Marble and Iron // 6. Mango Wood // 7. White Washed // 8. Teak Live Edge // 9. Ombre Concrete // 10. Grey Concrete // 11. Cement Round // 12. Rattan Round // 13. Wicker Round // 14. Black Raffia // 15. Charcoal // 16. Indoor Outdoor Tables // 17. Bone Round // 18. Weathered Metal // 19. Brass Inlaid Marble // 20. Vine Inlay // 21. Burl Wood Storage // 22. Drum Storage // 23. Marble Top Pedestal // 24. Iron Drum // 25. Lucite Round // 26. Modern Wood // 27. Modern Starburst
When To Use Round Tables
Round coffee tables are especially great to use with your sofa, chaise couch, or L-shape sectional. If you have a lot of square or rectangle shapes in your design adding round elements will create interest and balance in your living room.
The round nesting coffee table is nice when you like to entertain since it can be expanded for more surface space. While this shape may seem like a classic with all the size, material, and style options they are far from ordinary.
No matter your price point or budget there is a round coffee table perfect for you!
1. Bunching Tables // 2. Metal Bunching Tables // 3. Nesting Table Set // 4. Antique Brass Table // 5. Ombre Bunching Table // 6. Storage Bunching Table // 7. Roar + Rabbit Layered Rectangle Drum // 8. Gem Cut Side Table // 9. Argan Hexagon Table // 10. Hex Side Table // 11. Byron 22″ Bunching Table // 12. Brodie Bunching Tables // 13. Harwood Bunching Table // 14. Kline Bunching Table // 15. Limestone & Iron Bunching Table // 16. Kristie Bunching Table // 17. Marble Bunching Table // 18. Leather Coffee Table // 19. Flint Bunching Table // 20. Drum Bunching Tables // 21. Brass Bunching Tables // 22. Wood Bunching Tables // 23. Gold Frame 2 Bunching Table
What is a bunching table?
Bunching coffee tables are super cute small tables that are typically 20-25″ wide. The tables come round, square, hexagon, and abstract shapes.
The beauty of the bunching table is you can move them around in your living room to change up the layout. Guests can also move them so they function when you have company over.
Square bunching tables can be placed two in a row instead of the traditional rectangular table. You can place four together to create a large square coffee table for open spaces.
Placing three hexagon bunching tables in the center of a sofa and chairs adds interest and style to a room. This is perfect instead of a traditional round coffee table.
The arrangements are endless which is why I LOVE these cute coffee tables so much.
They are also available in a variety of colors and materials. You can get them in wood, metal, cement, marble, brass, and more! Check them out by clicking the link above.
Cool Coffee Table For Millenials
Ok, so I just had to add this one in because it is super cool! I saw this in person at HPMKT and it is the perfect coffee table idea for a dorm, apartment, or home.
If you like to entertain and have friends over this is fabulous for storing cold drinks.
Everything you need to enjoy the game or chic flic will be super accessible and ready to grab. No need to miss any of the action when you have this coffee table with storage ideas.
BTW there are only 8 left in stock of this cute coffee table so order sooner than later. Wayfair tends to sell out of all the goodies super quick!
Modern Nesting Tables
1. Nesting Outdoor Patio Table Set // 2. Oval Nesting // 3. Round Marble Nesting Tables // 4. Marble Gold Nesting Tables // 5. Metal Nesting Tables // 6. Antique Brass Nesting Tables // 7. Table Set // 8. Oak Top Nesting // 9. Round Nesting Tables // 10. Modern Nesting Tables // 11. Upholstered Round Nesting // 12. Carrera Nesting // 13. Drift Nesting // 14. Nesting Table Sets // 15. Modern Tables // 16. Nesting Cocktail Table // 17. Aluminum Nesting Tables // 18. Textured White Nesting
What are nesting coffee tables?
Nesting tables are a grouping of multiple tables that are at different heights. They are great for large and small spaces. The tables can be stacked for everyday use or pulled apart when entertaining.
Nesting coffee tables are great for adding personality and style to your interior design. They are available in a mix of materials and prices points.
Best Bone Inlay Tables
1. Round Bone Inlay // 2. Anthropologie Bone Inlay // 3. Oval Bone Inlay Tables // 4. Bone Inlay Drum // 5. Optical Table // 6. Handmade Coffee Table // 7. Striped Inlay // 8. Inlay Coffee Table // 9. Bone Inlay Round // 10. Scroll Vine Inlay Coffee Table // 11. Inlay Round // 12. Chevron Round Table // 13. Drum Coffee Table // 14. Diamond Bone Inlay
What is bone inlay?
Since the days of ancient Egypt, craftsmen have been using inlaid bone to decorate furniture and home decor.
Bone inlay is a technique that involves fixing intricate, hand-carved pieces of camel bone and/or mother-of-pearl into a wooden frame. The frame is filled with an uncolored or colored resin.
The art of bone inlay began in the royal palaces of Rajasthan where Maharajas commissioned extravagant inlay furniture pieces. Bone inlay can be found in cabinets, chests, tables, chairs, mirrors, lamps, and more!
Bone inlay is a three-step process that takes as long as a month to create.
First fragments of the camel bones are used to create the layout of the design. The detailed pattern is then attached to the wood frame.
Lastly, resin is filled around the bone shapes to create the background. When the resin is colored it creates a beautiful contrast against the camel bone and/or mother-of-pearl.
I hope this round-up was super helpful and inspiring as you go through your design journey.
Let me know in the comments which ones are your favorite. I’d love to know.
Have an amazing day full of Unicorns & Rainbows!
This post is all about the best coffee table trends of 2022.